The World by Storm with the Launch of the 1965 Mustang
Mustang in Review
The 1965 Mustang was one
of the greatest successes in automotive history. The car was not revolutionary
in the sense that it was based on a standard uni-body chassis and a
V8 block whose origins go back at least a decade before the launch of
the car. The car used many of the components of the sedate Ford falcon,
which was a mid sized family car. The success of the '65 Mustang can
be attributed to three things:
1- All new styling ...
the short rear deck and long hood gave the car sleek, clean lines that
departed from the 'three square' almost equal hood, roof and trunk proportions
of it's contemporaries.
2- Option Offerings ...
dealers offered a menu of options to dress up and personalize a Mustang.
Customers could walk into the dealer and drool over a long list of assessorieds
that ranged from convenience and comfort items such as factory air conditioning,
padded visors and remote cable operated mirrors to performance packages
like the GT group, or the K code 271 HP engine option .
3- Extensive Advertising
campaign ... Ford launched an extensive ad campaign on all the major
television networks, in magazines and newspapers.
The Ford Mustang has a
strong following to this day, and makes a great first collector car.
You can purchase a decent, roadworthy coupe for about $12,000 USD. 1965
- 1968 Convertibles and Fastback Mustangs can be found for $26,000 and
are welcome to copy all images; please provide this link in a separate
space underneath: 1965-mustang.net
The Ford dealer advertising campaign exclaimed
that the "Mustang was designed to be designed by you!"
You can make yours a family Mustang, a sports Mustang, and all-out
luxury Mustang, or your own personalized version with a
little of each. There are over 70 Mustang options to help you.
Design your Mustang and see your Ford Dealer. It's fun
and you'll be surprised how little it costs
Option list included these items.....
- 200-hp Challenger V-8
- 225-hp Challenger Special V-8
- 271-hp Challenger High Performance V-8*
- 3-Speed Cruise-O-Matic
- 4-Speed Manual
- Power Brakes
- Power Steering
- Power Top (Convertible) - Black, White or Tan
- Interior Decor Group (detailed pg. 10-11)
- Deluxe Steering Wheel
- Vinyl Roof Covering (Hardtop) - Black or White
- Deluxe Wheel Covers with Knock-Off Hubs
- Styled Chrome-Plated Steel Wheels (14-inch)
- Wire-Style Wheel Covers with Simulated Knock-Off Hubs (14-inch)
- Accent Paint Stripe and Rocker Panel Molding Package**
- White Sidewall Tires
- GT Equipment Group (detailed pg. 14-15)
- Rally Pac (tachometer and clock combination)
- Special Handling Package (with V-8's) - includes heavy-duty
suspension and 22 to 1 overall steering ratio
- Front Disc Brakes (with V-8's)
- Red Band Sidewall Tires (14-inch)
- Vinyl Tonneau Cover (Convertible)
- Console (two styles as illustrated below)
- Push-Button AM Radio
- Ford Air Conditioner
- Backup Lights
- Tinted Windshield
- Tinted Glass All Around
- Visibility Group - includes remote-control outside mirror
(shown below), day/night inside mirror, 2-speed wipers and
- Full-Width Seat with Center Arm Rest (Hardtop, Convertible)
- Remote-Control Deck Lid Release
- Rear Seat Speaker (Hardtop, 2+2)
- Studio-Sonic Sound System (Hardtop, 2+2)
- Parking Brake Warning Light
- Door Edge Guards
- Outside Mirrors including Racing Type
- Floor Mats
- Windshield Washers
- Rear Seat Belts
- Glove Box Lock
- 14-Inch Low-Profile Tires and Wheels (with Six)
- Rocker Panel Moldings
- Heacy-Duty Battery
- Limited-Slip Differential and many more.
- Padded Sun Visors (standard on Fastback)
- Deluxe Color-Keyed Seat Belts with Retractors
- Emergency Flasher (parking and taillights)
Dealer Invoice listing options on this 1965 Mustang Coupe, below .
was initially available in the Convertible or Coupe body (April 1964).
The Fastback (below) was available 5 months later.
For 1966 info
and pictures go to 1966-mustang.com